Having been an HR consultant for a number of years, for businesses, an HR consultant is an expensive investment, therefore it is crucial that they work with the right consultant for them and what their business needs.
If you are considering hiring an HR Consultant for your business, I’ve put together a handy guide to break down some of the tasks that a consultant could assist you and your business with.
So what is an HR consultant and why do I need one?
HR consulting is a type of management consulting. It is the HR consultant’s role to ensure that their clients are correctly advised on HR best practice and to help them deal effectively with difficult situations and consciously grow their business by attracting the right people. The HR consultant’s role includes tasks such as:
- Looking at internal HR practices, procedures and guidelines
- Making sure company policies are implemented throughout the business
- Making recommendations as to how HR practices and operations can be improved
- Assisting with recruitment and retention of employees
- Giving guidance on salary or other issues with remuneration
- Assisting with legal matters, including dismissals, disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Keeping clients up to date with legislation and employment practice developments
Risks for employers are increasing
As awareness of employment law increases within the media, employees in turn have become more aware of their rights and therefore the risk exposure for employers is much greater. Tribunal fees were abolished and therefore it costs nothing for an employee to raise a tribunal claim but it will cost the employer on average £7,000 just to defend it (before any awards are given).
Business leaders and owners are not expected to be experts in everything, the strength comes from the expertise you choose to surround yourself with.
Work with me!
From 17th February 2020, my career dreams will come true as I become an independent HR consultant! Why not get in touch to discuss how I could help your business grow through effective people management?