It’s 13th November which means that it is World Kindness Day 2017.
Whilst an act of kindness may sound like a great marketing campaign, it is simple to do and absolutely necessary to positively contribute to society given the tragedies we too often see in the world.
I write this long before our stressful commutes to work and sometimes it may seem that smiling at a stranger is the last thing that we would want to do, which only emphasises why we need this day more than those other random days such as national donut day (yes there’s actually a day for that!)
There are plenty of benefits to doing a random act of kindness and as well as making someone else’s day, it can boost our mental health too.
So in the spirit of HR Acts of Kindness and World Kindness Day; here are some ideas you can do to brighten your day today:
- Donate some unwanted items to a charity shop – we call have those, it doesn’t have to be bags full, it can be just a small selection of items which could help a great cause
- Be kind to your colleagues, stop and genuinely ask them how they are
- Smile at strangers on your commute, kindness is contagious, spread as many smiles as you can so they pass the kindness on!
- Give your network some shout outs, I’ll be doing this on Twitter later so do join in and give out virtual smiles
- Be kind to yourself; put on that outfit you like, take a lunchtime walk or treat yourself to an early night with a book. Don’t forget to be kind to you
Kindness is contagious so spread some joy and have a wonderful day!